The groove dress pattern by Made-it Patterns gets used a lot in my studio. It’s just one of those every day style patterns, that my kids love. And when I happen to find myself with a yard and a half of fabric, its one of the first patterns I think of. It is comfortable, easy to sew, and perfect for allowing kids to be KIDS. Those are my favorite types of children’s clothing sewing patterns – the patterns that still look like they are appropriate for their age, and are made for fun.
A while back I decided to color block the groove dress pattern, to utilize some patriotic fabric I had, and decided to make a quick DIY for how you could do the same. This would look great with all kinds of paired knit fabrics!
How to Colorblock the Groove Dress
How to color block the groove dress
- Skill level: Advanced beginner
- Time needed: 2 hours
- Groove dress pattern, HERE
- Coordinating knit fabric
- Basic sewing essentials
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PATTERN ALTERATION:
- Lay the front dress pattern on paper + trace Lay the front dress pattern on paper + trace around. Flip the pattern over on the fold + trace the other side, giving your the full front dress pattern (without fold).
- Measure 1.5” in from bottom armsyce, + using a ruler, draw a straight line to the bottom hem of the front dress pattern. Cut along line.
- Add seam allowance to cut line. These will be your new left + right front dress pattern pieces. Cut (1) of each, + sew right sides together along cut line.
And you have your new pattern! Continue to sew as instructed in the Groove Dress pattern instructions.
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…