The second I made these Hip Hop leggings, I knew the exact dress I wanted to style with them. A cocoon sweatshirt dress. This girl loves soft. She loves anything knit, snuggly, warm, and comfy. A fleece sweatshirt dress is right up her alley. The only problem was, I couldn’t find a pattern for sale to make the dress I had in mind. So naturally, I got to work.
Using a sweater that she already owns (that we both love the fit of), I simply traced around the top bodice portion and extended beyond the length of the sweater, altering the sides as needed to accommodate the cocoon fit. For the sake of ease, I switched up the sleeves giving the sweatshirt dress a dolman sleeve. Add to that some sweatshirt fleece strips cut on the bias for hemming, and you have a super easy dress DIY.
One thing to note – whenever I do sew fleece or sweatshirt fabric, I am always certain to flat fell the seams. This helps eliminate the bulk, and makes it more comfortable for the person wearing the outfit. There is a great flat fell seam tutorial HERE.
All in all, this sweatshirt dress was a huge success. She has already worn it to school, and just about pitched a fit when I told her she couldn’t wear it two days in a row. Coming from a girl who I can’t beg to wear more expensive handmade creations, I call that a total WIN.
Cocoon Sweatshirt Dress DIY
How to sew an easy, modern sweatshirt dress
How to sew a cocoon sweatshirt dress
Skill level: Advanced beginner
Time needed: 2 hours
- 2 yds Fleece sweatshirt fabric
- Sweater you already own for pattern sizing
- Basic sewing essentials
- Use a shirt you already own to cut around for pattern. Cut one front + one back on fold. Bubble out at side seams, bringing back in at hem. For dolman sleeve look, cut a curve around armsyce, then cut a straight line to shoulder 2” past armsyce. Use sleeve of shirt for sizing, and cut sleeve rectangle, with top fold accordingly. *Optional – cut hi / low hem, rectangle for pocket, and 2 – 3” strips on the bias for finishing neckline and hem.
- Place front and back rights sides together, pin and sew shoulder seams. Flat fell seams to help eliminate fleece bulk.
- Measure around neckline and subtract 1”. Cut 2” bias strip this length. Fold right sides together, matching up short end. Pin and sew. Press seam open. Slip around neckline, right sides together, with seam along back center neck line. Pin and sew stretching the bias neckline as you sew to match dress neckline width.
- Turn bias neckline towards the inside of the dress, pin in place and sew around. Match up the top of the rectangle sleeve with the dolman sleeve armsyce right sides together. Pin and sew. Flat fell seams.
- Fold top of pocket down 1” towards wrong side. Pin and sew. Turn in side pocket seams and bottom seam 1/4” to wards wrong side and press.
- Pin pocket in place to front side sweatshirt, sew around sides and bottom.
- Fold dress right sides together, matching up side seams. Pin and sew.
- Fold sleeve hem 1” towards wrong side, pin and sew. Measure the bottom of the dress. Cut 3” bias strip this length.
- Fold bias strip in half right sides together matching up the sides. Pin and sew. Fold strip in half wrong sides together and press.
- Pin raw edges of folded bias to dress hem. Pin and sew, press seam up and edge stitch to finish.
I think she likes it…
Be sure to check out the Hip Hopping Along Collection Mini Mag…
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…