This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Duck® Brand. All opinions are 100% mine.
Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings.” – It’s a Wonderful Life
I had actually never seen that movie until I met my husband, it was one of his favorites growing up and he had a tradition of watching it every Christmas. So on our first Christmas together, we humbly decorated a bike stand in lieu of a Christmas tree with a single strand of colored lights, and sat down to watch It’s a Wonderful Life. I cried like a baby. 12 years later and we still watch it every Christmas day, usually when the kids are off playing with their new toys from Santa. And I still cry like a baby, every. single. time.
After stumbling across some metal angel wings on display, I was inspired to try to make some of my own. I wanted to incorporate this heart warming memory into our home decor, while honoring my husband and my first Christmas together in the process. With the help of Duck Glitter® tape, that dream became a reality.
How to make Duck Tape® angel wings
- 3 rolls of Duck Glitter®
- Craft scissors
- Wire cutters
- Wood, or other frame, to put wing on
- Hot glue
TIME NEEDED: 3 – 4 hours
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
HOW TO MAKE DUCK TAPE® FEATHERS:
*The reason I love these feather so much, is because they BEND. Using the wire in the middle of the feather gives them the opportunity to be molded into any shape. Which makes them perfect for angel wings!
- Cut a piece of wire the length of your desired feather size, + 2″.
- Grab your favorite Duck Glitter® tape color (they come in gold, white, and silver), unroll the tape a little bit a lay flat. Place your wire directly on top of the tape, allowing the extra 2″ of wire to hang off the bottom of the tape, and smooth the wire down.
- Fold the top of the Duck Tape® over the top of the wire, and sandwich the wire in between the tape. Cut the tape from the roll.
- Cut your wire tape in the shape of a feather.
- And lastly, cut slits on both sides of the tape to give a feather-like appearance.
HOW TO MAKE DUCK TAPE® ANGEL WINGS:
- To make the angel wing, you will want to repeat the feather process 40 – 50 times. Make the feathers in various sizes, ranging from 14″ tall to 2″ tall so that you have a variety of lengths to choose from when assembling the wing.
- Start by assembling the longer layer of bottom feathers in your desired wing shape on your canvas or wood frame. You can use the tape to help hold them in place while deciding a general shape, as the Duck Glitter® tape is not as sticky as regular Duck Tape®, it can easily be repositioned. Once you have a general idea of placement and location with the larger feathers, pick the feathers up in a group pinching the wire ends together.
- Wrap a small piece of tape around the bottom wire stems of the feathers. Cut off any excess wire for a clean finish. Place the feathers on your canvas, and use a small amount of hot glue to adhere in place.
- Reposition the feathers how you want them on the canvas, bending the wire, and use a dot of hot glue if needed to secure in various spots.
- Repeat this placement process for each feather size level (XLarge, Large, Medium, and Small).
So now you know one of our traditional holiday movies, alongside Elf, A Christmas Story, The Family Stone, and Little Women. What are some of the Christmas movies YOU watch every year? Any other black and white old time movie that will make me cry like a baby? Or newer movie that will make me laugh us much as Elf does? What am I missing?
May the holiday decorating, eating, movie watching, and cookie baking commence!
It’s a Wonderful Life Angel Quote – Free Printable
Right click on the image below to save to your computer.
This is a sponsored post, but all words, content and ideas are my own.
For more Duck Tape® holiday inspiration, and to see how you can use Duck Tape® to add a touch of crafty Duck Glitter® glamour to your home, be sure to follow the Duck Tape® holiday Pinterest board for endless possibilities!
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…