In the past I have stayed away from rompers. I have tried to make them a few times, and as much as I love them – I found that I just wasn’t wearing them as often as I would have liked. And to be honest, when something takes a bit of time to sew – I want to get the most bang for my buck. I want to wear the crap outta that stinking romper!! Lol
That’s when it dawned on me, I was doing it all wrong. I kept making sophisticated rompers, outfits to wear when I wanted to dress up. And apparently, rompers for me aren’t meant for fancy affairs. They should be lazy day, comfy clothes. Things that I throw on when I feel like just lounging around the house. So I was going to try my hand, one last time (so I say now), at a comfy looking knit romper. Something that hopefully I will wear all Summer long, and love forever and ever.
I think I finally found my romper calling.
Romper 05/2016 #118A
MAKE THIS LOOK:
- Pattern – Romper 05/2016 #118A
- Fabric – Telio Stretch Bamboo Rayon Jersey Knit Mariner Stripe Midnight Blue
- 4 – 6 hours
I would say BurdaStyle got it right this time on the skill level required for this pattern! You definitely need to know your way around a sewing pattern, understand the basic concepts of sewing pattern pieces together, as well as be familiar with sewing knits. There were many times I found myself piecing the pattern together, outside of BurdaStyle’s limited instructions. In fact, having read the instructions about a million times in order to try to understand how to piece certain items together, I actually believe they left certain steps out of the process. But it was nothing that I wasn’t able to figure out on my own.
The fit is fantastic, exactly what I have come to expect from BurdaStyle patterns based on what the original pattern photo depicts. The pattern relies heavily on knit stay tape, which was a first for me. Usually patterns give a bias tape to finish necklines and armholes, but this pattern requires knit stay tape. I really love how lightweight the neckline and armholes are BECAUSE of the stay tape. Way less bulky then if we had used a bias tape binding. I am definitely remembering this process for future knit necklines. Super simple, and great results…albeit some might argue less professional. But I love it.
My least favorite part of the sewing process was, by far, the waistband facing. But let me be clear, that is not BurdaStyle’s issue, but rather my own. I have always hated sewing in waistband casings. I am always totally stressed out that I am going to really mess up the pattern during this process. I shortened the length of the shorts by about an inch – mainly because of the striped pattern on the textile. It looked like the romper was wearing ME, instead of me wearing the romper. I felt that shortening the length eliminated that problem.
Altogether, I really love this pattern and will DEFINITELY sew it again. The back straps are a cute and fun twist, that really give the basic tank romper some personality. In the photo the strap is accidentally twisted, but it does lay flat. I believe that this is one romper I will actually wear, like…A LOT.
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…