I don’t know about you, but my kids are constantly setting up forts in their room. I love that they can get creative, and make a fun space to play in using their imagination. Recently, they started making what they called, ‘book nooks’. Little areas in front of their dresser, that they would cover with blankets and stash some comfy blankets, pillows, and their favorite books to read. Then they would set up shop, and chill in their book nook for hours.
It’s kind of like every Mom’s dream, am I right?!!
The problem came at the end of the day, when I needed to remove their book nooks so that I could access their dresser. The wails and upset faces always left me broken hearted. They had worked hard on setting up their book nook fort, and loved hanging out in it. They didn’t want me to disassemble it, and quite frankly – I couldn’t blame them. I totally understood where they were coming from.
So I decided to design a custom book nook for each of them. With a little graphic design, 1 yard of fabric, and a tension rod, they can set up their book nooks with ease, any time they want.
Easy book store tent DIY.
The perfect christmas present for the child that loves to read.
- 1 yard ‘book store’ fabric
- 1 tension rod
- Basic sewing essentials
HOW TO CREATE THE BOOK STORE FABRIC:
- Download the book store image (links to download are located at the bottom of post), from Flickr in ‘original size’. Do not rotate the image upon saving.
- Upload the free bookstore design to Spoonflower.
- Make sure the pattern is marked ‘CENTER’.
- Make sure the design size is: 42.00in x 36.00in, 150 pixels/inch, Center.
- Make sure you are ordering 1 YARD of the fabric, in basic cotton ultra.
**It will not print out properly as a fat quarter, or on any fabric that is greater than 42″ wide.
Your window should look like this:
Then hit add to cart and continue with your order. It’s super easy really!
TO TURN THE FABRIC INTO A HANGING CURTAIN TENT:
- Finish raw edges with a serger or zig zag stitch (no need to worry about selvage sides).
- Fold the top edge of your book store 1.5″ towards the wrong side and press. Sew to secure, creating a casing for the tension rod.
- Slip rod through, and hang where desired.
Goes great in random nooks in your home, as well as in the hallway or door frames!
TO DOWNLOAD THE BOOK STORE IMAGE:
Download photos in ‘original size’.
- Click here to download the Blue & Orange book store photo.
- Click here to download the Pink book store photo.
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…