There are some things I just don’t want to spend money on. I know what you are thinking, what is $30?!! Just go buy a dang sports bra! But it is one of those things that just gets to me, I don’t WANT to spend $30 freaking dollars on a sports bra! So I have been rotating my 2 old trustees for years now. When you do laundry literally every single day, it is no big deal to simply wash and hang dry. I hit a snag though this Summer while traveling….those 2 bras got rather stinky. I managed to gross myself out.
It was time.
But I still didn’t want to part with my $$$ moola, so after careful consideration I figured out that I could make my own dang sports bra! Using the leftover lycra material from my high waist bikini bathing suit post, I got to work…
How to sew a sports bra || Sports bra DIY, with free pattern.
Fitness update: 4 months ago I posted my yoga mat DIY and talked a bit about my past weight issues and fitness goals. I have been running / exercising for 7 months now, and have lost a total of 13 pounds. I went from 149 to 136, and am feeling GREAT. With a steady exercise routine of running, biking, and swimming this Summer – I have managed to stay healthy and fit – while not having to drastically change my diet. It is hard work, and there are days when I seriously need to talk myself into it, but it is worth it.
- Sports bra pattern – CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
- 1/2 yd lycra / spandex fabric for exterior
- 1/2 yd heavyweight knit fabric (ponte, interlock) for lining
- 1 yd 1″ elastic
- Ball point sewing needle
- Coordinating thread
- Basic sewing essentials
- Place exterior front and back right sides together, matching up side seams. Pin and sew, using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Finish seams with serger or zig zag stitch to reinforce. Repeat for lining.
- Place exterior shoulder seams right sides together, pin and sew. Finish seam and repeat for lining.
- Slip lining inside of exterior bra, right sides together, matching up side seams. Pin all around the bottom edge. Sew around, using a small zig zag stitch and 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Turn bra right side out, and make sure your bottom hem is pushed out and flat all the way around. Pin around the bottom hem of your bra, 1″ up from the bottom. Sew using a small zig zag stitch, leaving a 1.5″ opening at the side seam for inserting elastic.
- Measure around your chest, directly underneath your bust with the elastic. You want it to be REALLY snug. The amount of elastic you use all depends on the stretchiness of your elastic. For example, my elastic was extremely stretchy, so I ended up using a 20″ piece. Attach a safety pin to one end of the elastic, and slip inside of the elastic casing along the bottom edge of your bra. Pull elastic all the way through casing, not letting the opposite edge of your elastic get pulled inside. Once all the way around, overlap and pin elastic ends together making sure the elastic is not twisted. Sew. Pull elastic fully inside the casing, and sew casing opening closed.
- Match up the armhole and neckline raw edges wrong sides together and pin. Finish the raw edges with either a serger or zig zag stitch. Fold edges 1/4″ towards the inside and pin. Sew around using a medium length zig zag stitch, stretch stitch, or double needle to secure.
And you are finished!
Things you now know about me, that you definitely did not know before this post:
- I have a tattoo, I got it when I was 17 and have regretted it ever since because it has no meaning to me.
- Subsequently, I have to talk about said tattoo to my kids anytime they happen to catch sight of it. Always fun.
- I had to spray tan my belly in picmonkey for these photos because it still does not match the rest of my body.
- I also airbrushed myself. Because nobody needs to see all of my pores in a photo. Not even me.
- I am secretly screaming inside that I have photos of myself in a sports bra on the internet. Thanks Mia Hamm.
- I also asked my neighbor to take photos of me in my sports bra running, trying to get an ‘action’ shot. They came out all blurry and unusable, but we had a good laugh about it together.
- And I have NO IDEA how Kim Kardashian takes so many dang selfies of her butt. The few that I did take were quite terrifying, I assure you.
For more fitness DIY posts, check these out:
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…