I was at the store trying on pants the other day when I stumbled across a super cute pair of skinny jeans, with leather inserts. The only problem when I tried them on, was that they had a funky seam across the mid thigh that basically made your leg look like it was bulging – even though it wasn’t. NOT CUTE.
Considering the price tag was $$$, I knew it was time to take matters into my own hands. Now, these may not be jeans….but how comfortable are skinny jeans anyway? I wear them, sure. But regular leggings beat jeans any day of the week. So here are some leather insert pants, the easy way.
Leggings with Leather Insert DIY
- Leggings on hand for pattern drafting
- Approx. 2 yards of knit fabric with good STRETCH
- Scrap Leather
- Basic Sewing Essentials
Sewing Level: Advanced Beginner
Instructions for Leggings:
- Lay out your leggings on top of the knit fabric, with the stretch of the fabric going from left to right. Cut around, adding seam allowance Cut (2) Front and (2) Back pattern pieces. Also cut your waistband, if yoga waistband is desired. Cut (1) waistband 6″L x your waist circumference – 3″.
- Place (1) Front and (1) Back pattern piece right sides together and sew the inseam.
- Lay your front & back right side up, and place leather shape directly on top of the inseam. Pin in place and sew around. Repeat Steps 2 & 3 for other Front and Back pattern piece.
- Place your (2) Front and Back pattern pieces right sides together, matching up raw edges & side seams. Pin and sew the crotch curve together.
- Open up the pants so that the crotch curve is in the center, pin and sew the outer side seams right sides together.
- Fold your waistband in half right sides together. Sew back seam. Fold down the top of the waistband in half, so that the back seam is enclosed inside, and press.
- With the leggings right side out, slip waistband over the top of the leggings matching up the raw edges. Pin around and sew, using a stretch stitch or serger, making sure you stretch the waistband as you sew to match the top width of the leggings. If desired, leave an opening and insert some elastic into the yoga waistband casing to ensure the pants stay up.
- Hem the bottom go your leggings using a stretch stitch.
And you are finished!
Don’t want to draft your own leggings by cutting around an old pair?
- Miranda of One Little Minute has an incredible legging drafting tutorial that you MUST SEE here.
- Or you can simply by the most awesome Go to Knit Pants legging pattern by Go To Patterns here.
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…