Today I have a fun DIY pattern alteration post for you. I have had my eye on the Wrap Blouse by BurdaStyle all Summer long, I simply hadn’t purchased it yet. With Fall temperatures here, I finally decided to make the purchase. You see, I am all about comfy dresses and tights at the moment. The temperatures outside are just right for stylish comfort. Too hot for scarves and jeans, but too cool for your classic Summer dresses. So any way I can stay comfortable, while still looking cute, and I am all for it.
After visiting my local Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores yesterday and stumbling across THIS adorable plaid – I was sold. Plaid is everywhere in the stores, the 90s are back. And who can complain? This soft, cozy fabric is like wearing pajamas in the daytime. L-O-V-E. And it is super easy to sew! The equivalent of quilting cotton in fabric sewing ease.
Wrap Dress DIY – a Pattern Alteration.
- Wrap Blouse by BurdaStyle
- Approx. 3 yards of fabric
- Basic Sewing Essentials
Sewing Level: Beginner
Instructions for Pattern Alteration:
- Lay your pattern out on the floor, with a large piece of white paper underneath it. Measure how long you want your dress to be from the shoulder down to your desired length. Lengthen the pattern from the Fold line down to your desired length, adding seam allowance. Repeat for side seam, arcing out at the sides to your desired length. Curve the bottom hem. Draw your new Back Pattern piece on the white piece of paper, and cut out.
- Repeat for Front Pattern piece, arcing out the sides and lengthening the bottom. Cut out. (Don’t let my poor drawings fool you – the side seam should be the same length for both the front and back!)
- Sew your pattern as you would the blouse, per BurdaStyle instructions.
I added a pocket on the front to cut up the bold flannel pattern. It is a basic rectangle pocket, with the front side corner folded down. It is perfect for holding my iPhone. 🙂
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…
*Please note, this post contains affiliate links. Anytime you order through an affiliate link offered on this site, you help keep it running. We thank you for your support!