Looking for a fun hat this Fall / Winter Season? Erin of the Sewing Rabbit Team is here today showing off a fabulous DIY, with free sewing pattern and tutorial for her Fur Ear Flap Hat! This hat is both functional and trendy, keeping your ears warm from the cold wind while still looking fabulous. No one will believe you made it yourself!
How to Sew a Fur Ear Flap Hat
I’m so excited to be contributing my fur ear flap hat to the Sewing Rabbit Team’s Fall Collection! Since this collection is for children and I don’t have children or really know many children that I could borrow as guinea pigs for my sewing activities, I improvised by making a hat that can fit a teen or adult – really just anyone with a head size around 22-24 inches.
- Fur Ear Flap Hat PDF Pattern
- ½ yard Exterior Fabric
- Fat Quarter Lining Fabric
- Approximately a Fat Quarter Faux Fur (could be more or less depending on the direction of the nap on the fur)
- ½ yard Fusible Fleece Interfacing
- General Sewing Supplies
The pattern includes a built in 5/8 inch seam allowance and all seams should be sewn with a 5/8 inch seam allowance. Faux fur seams may need to be trimmed down after sewing the seam due to the bulk.
Tips for Working With Faux Fur
Faux fur pattern pieces should not be cut on a fold. So, for the faux fur ear flap pattern piece, do not cut this on the fold. Instead, trace this pattern piece out in full (mirror image for the other half) and then cut.
When cutting faux fur, cut from the backside (an exacto knife is great for this) making sure to only cut through the backing and not the fur itself.
Before sewing a faux fur seam, bush all the fur away from the seam. After the seam is sewn, gently pull out any of the faux fur that was caught up in the seam.
1. Download the PDF pattern and cut out all pattern pieces.
2. Iron on the fusible fleece interfacing to all exterior fabric pieces.
3. Place and pin the sides and top piece of the exterior fabric together and sew them together.
4. Repeat with the side and top lining pieces
5. Assemble the ear flap by sewing right sides together of the exterior fabric and faux fur on the bottom three sides. Leave the top open. Turn the ear flap piece right side out and baste stitch the top closed.
6. Attach the ear flap piece to the assembled hat body by pinning the ear flap on, exterior sides together, and stitching.
7. Assemble brim by sewing right sides together of the exterior fabric and faux fur on the bottom three sides. Leave the top open. Turn the ear flap piece right side out and baste stitch the top closed.
8. Attach the brim piece to the assembled hat body by pinning the brim on, exterior sides together, and stitching.
9. Attach the lining by tucking the completely assembled the hat body into the lining, right sides together, and stitching. A walking foot is helpful for this part due to the thick layers. Also, make sure to go slow, turning the hand wheel when necessary to sew over the bulky seams. Leave a 4 inch opening.
10. Turn the hat right side out through the opening and hand stitch the opening closed.
11. And you are finished! Wear your new hat with pride this Fall and all Winter long.
Thank you so much to my sister, Laura of Laura Murray Photography, for snapping these shots of my fur ear flap hat.
We hope you enjoyed this free tutorial for the Ear Flap Hat DIY and can’t wait for you to see tomorrow’s tutorial as we bring you another Sewing Rabbit Fall Collection post!
And thank YOU so much for stopping by! Until next time…