Continuing on with Week 1’s Tutorials for the Back to School look created for Project Run & Play, today I am showing you how to make the sweater shrug! With very little effort, you can easily make a super cute shrug for your child using any cardigan you happen to have on hand.
While browsing the Sale Section at Old Navy, I stumbled across a turquoise cardigan that I knew would be adorable on Chloe, as well as match her new Circle Skirt perfectly. A quick snip and sew later, we had an adorable upcycled Sweater Shrug.
But it still needed that little something extra…
With a bit of thought, I realized that the color turquoise might be most associated with every girl’s dream store…Tiffany’s. So with a little scrap knit ribbing, we turned this sweater into the perfect homage.
Of course, you can make this in any color you want!
For your Size 5 pattern pieces, click HERE.
Cut out the Pattern Pieces as indicated, with 1 Pattern piece on the fold for the front neckline, and one pattern piece on the fold for the back neckline. See Below for Steps 1 & 2:
Next, we are going to:
3. If need be, fold over the neckline towards the wrong side and stitch.
4. With right sides together, pin the front and the back of the sweater at the shoulder and side seams. Sew.
5. Take your armband piece and first sew wrong sides together at the small raw edge, creating a tube. Turn tube right side out and place inside sweater armhole (with sweater wrong side out). You will now have the right sides of the fabric together. Pin and Sew.
6. You will now have this.
If you need to hem the bottom, turn under towards the wrong side and turn under again. Press and Sew.
At this point you can be done! But for that extra special Bow touch…
7. Take a long rectangle of knit fabric approximately 3.5″W x (the length of your sweater all around + 12″)L. Fold right sides together lengthwise and sew along outer edge. You should now have a long tube. Turn tube right side out. Sew along the outer edges to the bottom of your sweater, with seam on back center, around the bottom of the sweater. When you get to the ends (the front button placket), fold under edges. Cut off the additional 11″ excess knit tube.
8. With the 11″ remnant, cut 2″ off and set aside. Take the 9″ knit tube and fold over edges so that a bow is created on both sides.
9. And wrap the 2″ piece around center of bow. Hand sew center of bow together in the back.
10. Take the bow and hand sew to the overlapping side of the shrug button front in the center, covering the button placket, but still making it able to button and unbutton the shrug.
And there you have it!
The Tiffany Shrug.
Tomorrow I will be showing off the line of Circle Bags created for the Back to School Theme ‘Shapes’ Challenge, which will wrap up Week 1’s look and tutorials.
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…