I knew I wanted to work with some bold colors together for Chloe’s Fall Collection, and somehow this turquoise and red combo just seemed to jump out at me! Talk about color wheel…
The T Shirt dress is nothing new, but when Patterns by Figgy posted about working with knits, I knew I wanted to give some of her techniques a try…
She had some great tips for using knits to add details, such as the neckline you see with the alternating knits here.
As well as how to lengthen a T Shirt to continue to fit your growing child…which I used to lengthen this dress hem, as well as the sleeves, with the alternating color block.
Making the pattern of this dress was simple…You will need 2 T Shirts to complete.
2. Using an alternating T Shirt, cut off the bottom hem, as well as the bottom hem of the sleeves. You will also need a strip of fabric if you want the contrasting neckline.
4 & 5. Using the Patterns by Figgy tutorial, sew the alternating sleeve hem to the bottom of your pattern sleeve
6. Now, take the bodice and lay out. With right sides together, you are going to pin the sleeve arc to the armhole opening of the bodice. Sew and repeat for other sleeve.
8. You should now have this.
9. If you wish for the alternating neckband, now is a great time to complete. Once again, refer to Patterns by Figgy tutorial.
10. Lastly, for alternating hem band at the bottom, you know where to go! Lol – Patterns by Figgy.
12. With right sides together, pin the bottom of the bodice to the skirt and sew around. Press seam upwards, and sew another line of edge stitches to secure.
And voila! You are finished!
I feel like I am giving a variation of this same tutorial over and over again on my site, but I guess when you use something that often – it comes in handy!
See you back here tomorrow for the bow belt tutorial that goes with it!
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…