When it comes to Summer, we think simple tops that we can throw on with just about anything. The easy cropped top is just that. Made from just over one yard of fabric, this lightweight woven top is perfect for pairing with skirts, high waisted pants, or even over a tight dress! It makes a great top for when you are trying to pack light for Summer vacations, and need a shirt that can mix and match to create entirely new looks.
The easy cropped top has pattern sizes for sizes 32″ to 40″ bust, and can be made in 1 – 2 hours.
Easy Cropped Top DIY
Free women’s shirt pattern, sizes 32″ to 40″ bust
How to make the easy cropped top
- Skill level: beginner
- Time needed: 1 – 2 hours
- 1 – 1.25 has lightweight woven fabric (linen, linen cotton blend)
- Fat quarter coordinating woven fabric for sleeves
- Coordinating thread
- Universal regular point sewing needle 90/11
- Ruler / measuring tape
- Fabric scissors / rotary cutter
- Bias tape
- Sewing machine
PATTERN CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS:
Please cut the following from your fabric. Chest measurement is the actual measurement of your bust, not the final measurement of the top.
- Cut pattern pieces as indicated.
- Lay your front and back top pattern pieces on the floor. Using a ruler, mark the top center of your pattern pieces. Cut a curved neckline 9″ wide with a 5″ dip in the center for the FRONT pattern piece. Cut another curved neckline 9″ wide with a 2″ dip in the back center of the BACK pattern piece.
- Place front and back pattern pieces right sides together, matching up shoulder seams. Pin and sew using a 1/2″ seam allowance. Finish seams with a serger, zigzag stitch or pinking shears. Press.
- Fold sleeves in half lengthwise, matching up the long outer edge, wrong sides together. Press.
- Match up the center raw edge of the folded sleeves with the shoulder seam and pin. Pin remainder of folded raw sleeve edge to shirt on either side. Sew and finish seam. Press seam towards shirt and edge stitch to secure.
- Measure around the neckline and add 1″ to your measurement. Cut a piece of bias tape this number. Fold bias tape in half right sides together, matching up the short ends. Pin and sew. Press seam open.
- Fold front and back shirt right sides together, matching up the side seams. Pin and sew the under sleeve and side seam, STOPPING 3″ above the shirt hem.
- Press side seam open, making sure to press open the bottom side seam vent. Sew around the vent to secure seam in place.
- Fold the bottom shirt hem 1/4″ towards wrong side and press. Fold again 1/4″ towards wrong side and press. Sew to secure. Repeat for both front and back.
- Slip bias tape around the neckline right sides together, matching up the bias tape seam with the back center neckline. Pin in place and sew using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Clip seams and turn bias tape to the inside. Press and edge stitch to secure.
And you are finished!
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…