This past weekend we celebrated Valentine’s Day in what is quite possibly, the coolest Valentine’s Day celebration EVER. Our local Aviation Museum hosts an annual 1940’s Valentine’s Day ball in their museum airplane hangar, filled with airplanes that were actually used in the war from that era. During WWII, dances were often arranged and held in hangars to help raise money for the war effort. Vets who actually served in the war were not only in attendance this past weekend, but many were walking around giving history lessons on the planes from that time. Women and men walking around as Rosie the Riveter, flight pilots, classic 1940’s housewives, or of course dressed up in their uniforms. Add to that a big band, swing and charleston dance lessons, flowers and food – and you have the night memories are made of.
Naturally, I got no photos whatsoever…save a few blurry selfies my husband and I took together.
You see, I have started this thing where I leave my camera AT HOME. I grew tired of always trying to snap the perfect shot, and losing the art of being in the moment. So I have stopped taking my camera everywhere with me. After all, some moments are simply meant to live on as a memory. And I am learning to be okay with that.
V is for Victory Dress
How to make this 1940’s inspired look
MAKE THIS LOOK: V IS FOR VICTORY DRESS
- Dress pattern sewing tutorial found HERE
- V is for Victory fabric found HERE
- Victory roll hair tutorial found HERE
- White resin flower earrings, found a DIY HERE
Slight dress tutorial alterations:
Made a faux button placket across the top yoke of the keyhole opening by simply folding the yoke over upon itself in the center and adding the button and a few extra hand sewn stitches to secure. Add a dart in the bottom center of the keyhole opening for visual effect. Also added 2 darts in the bottom of the bodice to help cinch the bodice in a fit more at the waist creating a more slimming and streamline look. As I chose to make these darts AFTER I had sewn the dress, they are really more of a sewn down pleat, which you can see in the skirt detail. But the overall look was gorgeous.
The fabric is Spoonflower’s organic knit, which I usually find pretty easy to work with. Although I noticed that when this fabric got stretched the color faded a bit more than I would’ve liked. I ended up having to use a red sharpie in a few areas around the stitch lines to cover up the faded or manipulated fabric. While this is not ideal, the dress still looked fabulous when complete. With Spoonflower I have found that it is best to stick with a fabric that has a white base background. All in all, I am happy with the end dress result though.
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…