If there is one thing I love, it is cake.
And chocolate. And wine. And sewing…obviously. But let’s get back to the cake. Homemade, Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines, box mix cake is my all-time fave. When we were living in Germany, I remember scouring the marketplace for imported American cake mix and paying a premium for the classic birthday cake. Sure, I tried the German cakes – but none of them hit my sweet tooth just right, or brought the nostalgia and memories quite like the cakes from my youth. And don’t even get me started on the liquor cakes over there – lol, sooooo not my thing. Whenever a birthday, or other special occasion rolled around, you could find me at the downtown market searching the ‘international’ food section and paying 10 Euro for my box cake.
My family has it’s different personal preferences – from chocolate cake to yellow to vanilla, and the varying types of frosting to go with it. My personal fave? Chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. So yummy :). And what better way to celebrate Mother’s Day, then with my favorite cake.
Say I love you this Mother or Father’s Day with a personalized cake topper for their Mother’s Day cake. All you need are some photos, and you can satisfy the sweet tooth in your sweetie pie on their special day.
Mother’s Day Cake Bunting
- Photos of your kids (for a fun twist, snap pics of them holding the letters ‘M’ ‘O’ ‘M’ or ‘D’ ‘A’ ‘D’)
- Decorative straws
- Baked cake
HOW TO MAKE A PERSONALIZED CAKE BUNTING:
- Using scissors, cut around your child leaving a 1/8″ edge all around.
- Repeat for all children, or one child on multiple photos :).
- Cut a piece of ribbon or string approximately 18-20″ long. Using a piece of tape, secure a photo to the center of the ribbon on the back of the photo.
- Repeat for all photos in a nice straight line. (*Please note, the more kids you have, the smaller the photos will have to be!)
- Tie the ends of the ribbon to the top of your decorative straw, and secure with a piece of tape so that it doesn’t slip. Cut any excess ribbon ends.
- Repeat for both sides.
- Stick bottom of straws in the finished cake, and you are done!
So tell me, what’s your favorite cake?
And have you ever tried a liquor cake, and did you like it? Lol – hey, to each their own!
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…happy sewing!