Last week marked our first Christmas party of the Season…woot woot! I love the holiday parties, it gives me an occasion to get dressed up and show off my mad sewing skills. Lol. But seriously, there is just something so special about being able to wear handmade to an event. It makes you feel not only beautiful, but incredibly talented to boot. It helps you remember that the true beauty is on the inside, the strength in your arms and the knowledge in your head to be able to make something fantastic with your hands. Nothing beats that kind of beauty.
For this function, I wanted something really comfortable, as there was going to be a lot of standing around and talking to people. And I wanted the material to be breathable, as I tend to sweat when I get nervous talking to people I don’t know (tmi? it’s the truth!). Nothing screams comfort like knit fabric to me.
Knit Maxi Dress DIY.
A Gwen Dress pattern alteration.
- 2.5 yards knit fabric
- Gwen top / dress pattern
- Basic sewing essentials
Print out the pattern as normal. Assemble.
Make the following pattern alterations:
- Lower the back neckline, so that it stops around the same length as the bottom of the armsyce. Lower the shoulder seam at the neckline by 1.5″.
- Raise the front neckline curve about 1.5″, and lower the shoulder seam at the neckline by 1.5″.
- Measure yourself from the waist to the floor, and lengthen the dress length accordingly. Arc out the sides gently for a fuller skirt.
- Sew the dress together as normal.
- Add bias tape around the neckline to finish.
- For a more slender fit, gather the back of the dress at the waistline with a basting stitch and gather. Sew down the gathers with a straight stitch back and forth to secure.
- *Optional – add belt around the waist. I used velvet ribbon and a sequin notion for closure over the back gathers.
And you are finished!
This dress is super comfortable, and I love it’s fitted style. I just hope I have more Christmas parties this Season to attend so that I can sew up some more dresses! I have my eye on the latest release from Mingo & Grace. Woot woot.
Thanks so much for stopping by, and until next time…